When it comes to cleaning, it is more than likely you don’t enjoy it. It is true that cleaning is not among the most exciting activities in the world, though it is much needed to keep your home environment in a good enough state. But if you think about it, you probably don’t need to address some of the most challenging chores all that often, even if you believe otherwise.
According to experts, there are only a handful of household tasks that should receive daily and weekly attention. Now, if something looks dirty, then obviously you should clean it. Otherwise, you can refer to the following guide.
Things you should clean daily
- Make your bed – this one should seem obvious, but by making your bed, you get that nice boost of early day motivation, which is so important.
- Clean dirty dishes – whether it be a hand-wash or by running the dishwasher, it is essential to clean the dishes daily.
- Wipe down kitchen and bathroom surfaces – these see a lot of activity and therefore require daily care.
- Remove water from shower walls – by using a squeegee, you can remove excess moisture and save yourself a lot of cleaning trouble later on.
Things you should clean every week
- Mopping kitchen and bathroom floors – cleaning these areas will prevent spreading of debris around your home.
- Dust furniture – if you wish to prevent dust from accumulating on the furniture, you best do some weekly vacuuming. Use the appropriate attachment for the job.
- Clean kitchen appliances – this is especially valid for the appliances you use daily – the coffeemaker, toaster, microwave, etc.
- Sanitise your sponges – wet them and microwave them for a few minutes to kill the bacteria and germs on their surface.
Things you should clean monthly
- Dust the blinds – these accumulate quite a lot of dust, and it would be best to address the chore every month.
- Clean large appliances – once a month you should clean the laundry machine, vacuum cleaner and dishwasher. That way these appliances will work their best.
- Clean and dust light fixtures – to get pristine light around your home, the best you can do is to clean the dust from these items.
Things you should clean every 3-6 months
- Clean the fridge and freezer – empty out your fridge and freezer and wipe down the interior. Check for any food past its expiry date and dispose of it. Don’t forget about the shelves and detachable doors, as these need cleaning too.
- Vacuum the mattress – the mattress you sleep on can become quite dusty over time. You would do well to vacuum it fully once every few months. Another thing you can do is to air it out and flip it, to even the wear.
- Clean behind and under furniture – just because the area there is concealed doesn’t mean it sees no dust and dirt. It would be wise to move furniture at least twice a year and vacuum underneath it.
- Clean the oven – whether it be a self-cleaning cycle of a hand-wash, you need to clean the oven interior once every few months.
Things you should clean every year
- Clean the fireplace and chimney – if you have a fireplace, it is a good idea to clean it right after you have stopped using it so that it is ready for the next season.
- Deep clean your carpet and upholstery – contact a cleaning company to address the carpet and upholstery in your home.
- Clean drapes and curtains – similarly to the carpet and upholstery, it is a good idea to do a deep clean once a year. It will refresh them and remove any dust and dirt from there.
Now that you know how to address most cleaning tasks in your home, you can better plan for it. That way cleaning will be much more manageable.