In case you didn’t know, there are many home cleaning tasks that you can address with baking soda. A box of this white powder will prove invaluable on so many cleaning chores that you will wonder how you managed without it.
Get a decent amount of baking soda and get to cleaning by following the next tips:
- Scrub wall marks – that crayon art may look fun for your children, but it certainly causes you huge distress. Fear not – you can remove any trace of that with a 50/50 mix of water and baking soda. Apply the paste to the messy area and gently wipe. It won’t be long before you see the marks disappear.
- Unclog and clean the sink – if you have clogged the kitchen sink with residue and debris, it is time to bust out the baking soda. All you need to do is mix it with some vinegar and pour down the drain. This combination is quite powerful and can easily remove tough clogs. Allow the vinegar and soda some time to sit and then pour hot water. Not only will you deal with the clog, but also de-stink the area.
- Cleaning grout – the porous material of grout is difficult to clean, as stains penetrate it easily. Not only that, but you can also expect some mould growth, which is hazardous for your health. Thankfully, baking soda comes to the rescue with this chore. Make a baking soda paste with water, spread it on the grout and let it sit for a while. Grab a toothbrush and scrub the area until it is clean again. It is simple, easy and doesn’t rely on any cleaning solutions full of chemicals.
- Make a cleaning solution more abrasive – if you wish to add some abrasion power to a cleaning solution, you can do so with baking soda. You can replace specialised abrasive cleaning products this way. For instance, you can mix one part vinegar with one part dish liquid and then throw in some baking soda for that abrasive quality. This way you get a cleaning solution that rivals any store-bought solution out there.
- Remove odours from the kitty litter – if the litterbox is getting stinky, you can quickly fix the issue with baking soda. Just empty it out and sprinkle baking soda inside. You can do this every time you have to change it, and you will find that smells do not linger for long there.
- Clean the oven – this is one of the oldest tricks in the book – cleaning your oven without any chemicals, but with baking soda instead. Make a paste, spread it all over the grease interior and let it sit overnight. When you return the next day, you will find the oven is very easy to clean with nothing but a sponge and some water.
All of these cleaning tips surely work great. Try them out, and you will know the true power of baking soda.